Has anyone done nothern pike fishing in ct? I want to try this year but i dont know much, i only fish bass. Heres what ive heard, fall is the best time, sppons work awesome. Ive also heard the ct river near wethersfield is a good place. So basically im asking when and were and what to use for these monsters. Im not asking you guys to give up your top spots but generally areas would be helpful. I live up by the mass line in the center of the state about a mile from the ct river so anywere around here would be awesome but ill travel if some ones got a consitant spot...thanks in advance

Posted Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:26 pm

I do a lot of pike fishing and can give you a couple of pointers. For places to go:

Lakes: Bantam, Hopeville, Pachaug, Mansfield Hollow, Winchester
CT River: Any of the coves from Hartford down to Haddam (especially Haddam Meadows area)
Farmington River: Barts to the gut (where it joins with the CT river)

I go to a local pond and catch big golden shiners or fallfish (sometimes called river dace) and use them for bait. Live works best for me, but sometimes dead is OK too.

For equiptment - 6.5' to 8' MH rod and no less than 20lb test. For a leader I strongly recommend 50lb test flourocarbon. I recently made the switch from steel and it has made a big difference.

Fall is a good time, but early spring is good too. During the summer they are harder to find, as they are a cold water fish. Ice fishing real shallow is productive, also.

I live it Enfield and it sounds like you are close to me. If you want to go sometime send me a PM. I will not be able to get out until late August. Good luck and hope this helps.

Posted Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:13 am

I will add a note about Haddam Meadows: A great spot for pike, but be aware of D.E.P postings in the area. Haddam Meadows is utilized as a pike marsh and a safe rule is to stay in the Connecticut River Proper and out of the marsh/tributary going into the river. This should keep you from getting pinched. Hard.

Posted Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:48 pm

thanks for the tips flipper...i live in enfield too and im thinking im might have to take you up on your offer to go with you and learn the tricks of the trade...I was just lookin at yor pictures and it seems all those pike you caught were during the summer months judging by the way your dressed..so its possable to get out there right now and bag one?

Thanks for the side note protacanthopterix i dont need them pullin my licesnes...then what do i got...lol

Posted Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Any pike action on the CT River? Getting a bit too much for my little boat in the LIS, even hugging the shore. Was wondering if the river has come down to a fishable level. Question

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:44 am

I last fished the river Friday and it was still up and running, though I hope it has gone down. only fished for three hours (mom always called me stone headed) and managed one about 24"s. no pic, I was solo with no camera. hoping to get down there tomorrow to hook a couple, who knows? tight lines to all and let us know how it goes should you guys get out!

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:41 pm

Thanks for the update!

Posted Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:09 pm

no luck at pawcaug today. Hopeville might have produced but not even a single bite from anything on the lake today, rough

Posted Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Was headed to East Hartford toda and crossed the river. Still looked high and dirty Sad Off to Altmer NY Thursday. Hoping for some good fishing. Smile

Posted Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:20 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links