What's next??

"Lake Congamond Usage Fee"

The Town of Southwick tried to raise the ramp fee at the state boat ramp at Lake Congamond by $10. This got derailed by the Office of Fishing and Boating Access as the extra monies over the already in place $5 fee were not going back to the ramp but directly to the Southwick Police Department.
Now the town is pushing for a “Lake usage sticker program” where every boat that uses Lake Congamond would be forced to buy a yearly sticker to the tune of $60. From what I understand there would be a one day provision for $10 also for Southwick residents who do not reside on the shores of Congamond they would be charged $20 and for lake shore owners there would be no charge. To do this Southwick has enlisted the help of Senator Michael Knapik. The “sticker program” would need a change in the Massachusetts state law which is where the Senator comes in.
The passage of such a state law would be extremely damaging to EVERY boater who uses the waters of Massachusetts. The Lake Congamond sticker program would set a precedent for every association and town out there to start their own program and next thing you know we are paying thousands of dollars just to boat on different waters within the state.
We have a chance to stop this before it gets started. As of yet Senator Knapik has not introduced any legislation. Please voice your opinion to Senator Knapik and let him know we do not want such a bill proposed and we vehemently oppose such an action. You can e mail Senator Michael Knapik at Michael.Knapik@masenate.gov or send a letter to his office address which follows;
57 North Elm Street
Westfield, MA 01085"

Fight for the Right...to Boat!

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:45 pm

I'm going to contact him. I can't imagine this will get far. Congamond is a 2 state water. Only a bit is in CT but it still is. Not only that, Taxpayers fund the stocking of these waters.Can't see the State sending trout that way if access is restricted.

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:58 pm

Just beautiful..........................I'm not surprised at all.

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:03 pm

rocketman

I'm going to contact him. I can't imagine this will get far. Congamond is a 2 state water. Only a bit is in CT but it still is. Not only that, Taxpayers fund the stocking of these waters.Can't see the State sending trout that way if access is restricted.

But what town/state are the ramps in??

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:24 pm

According to the CT DEP, there are no CT State maintained ramps/launches on those lakes, so any on the CT side must be private or town maintaind. MA ( http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/pab/pab_facilities.htm#legend ) lists some maintained by Southwick.

Last edited by pramsey on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:38 am

I realize CT has no ramps and Southwick does, that was my point

Posted Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:49 am

aqualung

I realize CT has no ramps and Southwick does, that was my point

Sorry lung, thought you were asking a Q. I'm in Atlanta GA, apparently that slow, southern, thought process has set in!

Posted Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:52 am

I can see how you could have interpreted that as a legitimate question....
so your off the hook this time Pramsey Laughing

Posted Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:10 am

aqualung

WOW he got a pass??? I'd wouldn't get used to that Pramsey, these old geezers get a tad crotchety!

Posted Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:42 am

I may have gotten the pass because I AM one of the old geezers, just not crotchety yet!
ehertzfeld

aqualung

WOW he got a pass??? I'd wouldn't get used to that Pramsey, these old geezers get a tad crotchety!

Posted Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:02 am

pramsey

I may have gotten the pass because I AM one of the old geezers, just not crotchety yet!

ehertzfeld

aqualung

Posted Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:09 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links