Over the past few years, I've foregone the boat payments and instead chartered. I've had great, good and not so good trips. Guys often determine good/bad by the number of fish caught, but that's not always the case. It's sometimes a shot in the dark fishing a new place, but there are a few things I look for.

1) Captain is knowledgable but listens to what you are interested in and works to put together a plan and does a good job of explaining the strategy. LISTEN TO YOUR CAPTAIN TOO! Chances are, they know a lot more than you do about the places they fish, and aren't reading the same ficticious or week old reports you are. I look to learn from these guys every time I go out. There are some out there who could care less about tides, whats biting when, etc. They want to leave at x, drift the race, and get back at y regardless. I can go on a party boat for that.
2) Like being out there and get pumped when clients catch big fish. Some of the best guys I've gone out with share knowledge, tell great stories, and will tell you that the biggest rush for them is hooking people up with the target species. 4-10 hours on a boat with a guy that acts like he's having about as much fun as working a production line makes for a long trip.
3) Thinks "out of the box" and will change up the game plan on a slow day. Sometimes the fish don't seem to bite but a good captain will at least try a bit of everything. There are days when everyone gets skunked, but you know when a guy has busted his ass trying to get you on the fish, and that's a guy I will fish with again.
4) Big for me - wants to preserve the sport. Is ethical in methods and works to preserve the stocks. Believe it or not, I hate to eat fish, so I catch and release unless I want a few fillets for friends. Perhaps my coolest fishing moment was at the end of landing my one and only marlin, brought it to the side of the boat to snap a few pics, and then cut it loose. The fish and I were spent, and that thing just glided back down into deep water.

Anyway, thought I'd share. Maybe even help someone looking to charter. If you need an extra to split a share with, send me a PM! Very Happy

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:19 pm

rangler,
Your comments are right on! As a part time Charter Captain and Guide, I would just add a comment on safety. The captain is responsible for the safety of the client, crew and boat. I do not allow alcholhic beverages (or drugs) on my boat. I concentrate on finding fish, meeting the needs of the client, teaching, and providing the best day on the water possible. I do not need nor want drunks. If I don't get a charter becuse of my policy, so be it. Safety is number one.

Captain Bob Salerno

Posted Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:26 am

flyangler

rangler,
Your comments are right on! As a part time Charter Captain and Guide, I would just add a comment on safety. The captain is responsible for the safety of the client, crew and boat. I do not allow alcholhic beverages (or drugs) on my boat. I concentrate on finding fish, meeting the needs of the client, teaching, and providing the best day on the water possible. I do not need nor want drunks. If I don't get a charter becuse of my policy, so be it. Safety is number one.

Captain Bob Salerno

While maybe you do Capt Bob, I don't consider those who like to partake with an adult beverage or two..."drunks" How is your 2011 season looking? all booked up??

Posted Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:57 pm

Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:23 am

Lung, I kinda have to agree with him. Were I do drink and have no problem with others who drink, alcohol and boats are just not a good idea. especially when it's your boat and your responsibility. People's metabolisms are different, and there is no real way to tell when their reaction time is altered. You know as well and anyone who has ever been on a boat, a wave can come out of know were and rock the boat the right way, and ya have to react to stay on your feet. If one's reaction time is altered, they are not going to stay on their feet. More accidents and deaths on the water are caused by alcohol. No booze on my boat either, but I would never tell anyone they can't have a beer or two on your own. To me, it's just not worth the chance.

Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:30 pm

I have to add to this,

I certainly would not like to have my buddy fall overboard off my boat because he was buzzed and couldn't get his balance.

Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:32 pm

If I chose a charter that allowed alcohol and had a beer with lunch that makes me a drunk? I don't think so.

Posted Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:23 am

Talk about drunks falling off boats. We had a guy go overboard off the Sunbeam on a private trip last fall; in the Race on a rough day in a fast drift. I was fishing the bow, looking down towards the stern at a fish being brought in when I heard a big splash. I looked down and saw the water boiling. I looked back up and to my right for the only guy fishing forward of me to see if he had a big fish on. Dude was gone! Looked back down and finally saw a head come up. I'm screaming man overboard and most of the people are looking at me with shocked faces. Mates are rushing for life buoys. The guy was struggling to keep the boat from drifting over him and clutching his back pocket for his cell phone. I was able to reach down far enough with my rod for him to grab. Had to tell him to screw the phone and grab hold with both hands. Luckily, we were able to work him down the rail to midship and bring him back aboard. Fortunately, he didn't go under the boat, or in a 4-5 ft. chop and a 55 ft. boat he would have been screwed unless he was aware enough to dive down and for the opposite side. Anyway, other than losing an expensive outfit and a cell phone, he seemed OK. Turns out he tried to sue the Sunbeam fleet (who by the way were professional in their reaction). I had to provide statements for the litigation. I also happened to have video of the "victim" who was in "shock" and "suffering" from his ordeal back on the rail and fishing afterwards. Anyway, nothing to do with chartering, but a good story that made for a memorable trip! This all being said, I like a beer but I like catching fish more so if anyone wants to take me fishing, I'll pay for fuel and if you say no beer, I will survive!

Posted Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:46 pm

It was not my intent to label all anglers who drink are drunks. I will not put myself, boat, crew or clients in situations that could turn dangerous. On numerous occasions, I have seen charters come back to the dock with clients so inebriated they cannot walk down the dock. Having to limit or police the amount of somone can drink takes away from fishing and navigating safely.
I abide by the Coast Guards Zero Tolerance Policy.

Posted Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:07 pm

Wow. Never intended to start such a brouhaha.

Posted Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:23 pm

Just want to throw another point of view in here. I have a boat and take it out almost every weekend. I do not drink on my own boat, as it is illegal and I am responsible for safety. However, when I am on somebody elses boat, it is nice to be able to relax without all of the responsibility and put a few back. I also have no problem with somebody having a few on my boat, even though I will not. I'm not talking about baby sitting a drunk - that is another topic and would happen 1 time on my boat. So I guess I am saying, when on a charter, I prefer to drink a few beers because that is one of the few times that I can be on the water and do so. Yes, I do like beer! Cool Smile I do understand the legal ramifications and that is the problem with our society. Nobody is held accountable for their own actions. That is the real problem - not drinking beer on someone elses boat.

Posted Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:50 am

Well Stated

Posted Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:26 pm

redneckangler

Wow. Never intended to start such a brouhaha.

I think thats why we're here RNA, to discuss, help, etc

Posted Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:07 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links