Stopped by my local pond to wet a line. Caught a few nice little bass. Little League was going on nearby, and tons of kids were running around. A boy from my daughter's 2nd grade class and his friends came up. "Can I fish, can I fish, can I fish?" Who's going to tell a kid he can't fish? I have him pick up my light rod with a small lure, and he casts out a few times. I turn to cast my line and WHAM! I reach down and find the lure hanging from my face. The kid was 25ft. away and probably couldn't hit me again in 100 casts. He's is about to cry, saying he's sorry over and over. I assure him that I know it was an accident and that it's OK. This is where it gets comical. I can't see the hook and forgot my pliers. I have to walk past all of the kids and dads by the baseball diamond with a lure dangling from my face. They politely offer to help, but there isn't anything they can do. I decide I'll stop by the rescue squad across the pond. Surely they have small pliers or forceps. I am informed that they are not allowed to remove anything, but only after 3-4 guys come out for a look. I understand that some jackass may try to sue and thus the policy. They do offer to take me to the ER, but I don't think this merits a ride in an ambulance. I drive home with my rather unique piercing hanging from below my nose. Forceps and a quick pop takes remedies what turned out to be a rather humerous situation.

Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Good thing you weren't out snagging bunker or jigging cod Surprised

Glad it wasn't more serious.

At least the kid is practicing catch and release Razz

Posted Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:47 am

Talk about catching a sucker!

Posted Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:42 am

Caught one of those once from an eight year old in the back of the neck,tiny little crankbait,like your little fishing buddy,he took it way worse than I did.

Posted Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:34 pm

Catch and release, now thats a good one. Glad you made out ok.

Posted Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:22 pm

Better luck this time. No lures in the face!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbViep21ztM[/youtube]

Posted Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:38 pm

nice fishes i bet they all had a good time .

Posted Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:49 am

Two AWESOME afternoons of fish slammin' fun at Camp Sloper. Danny racked up a 2 day total of 10 largemouth, a nice smallmouth, and a sunny! Big sis was jealous and wants to go Tuesday! KVD watch out.

Posted Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:23 pm

[quote="redneckangler"]Two AWESOME afternoons of fish slammin' fun at Camp Sloper. Danny racked up a 2 day total of 10 largemouth, a nice smallmouth, and a sunny! Big sis was jealous and wants to go Tuesday! KVD watch out.

Is that a white perch, that's a nice one!!

Posted Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:18 pm

pramsey - you are correct. Erroneously described as a smallie. Thanks. This was a monster white perch. Never really understood why this is called a perch when it's from the bass family, and a smallmouth is an overgrown member of the sunfish family. Protacanthopterix can probably answer this. Danny has been bragging about all the fish he caught, so his sister is now wants to go. She can't stand to be outdone in anything by her little brother. This may cut into my striper fishing this weekend, but what can I do???

Posted Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm no expert, but ever since I caught my first white perch, I've been hunting 'em and I'm getin' pretty good at recognizing them. Seeing one that big gives me goose bumps!!! Congrats to the 'little' guy that caught 'im!

Posted Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:22 pm

Hey nice to see that camp slopers fish arnt all dead I went last month and something was going on there not too sure, but nice little fish there. and good too see the younger generation getting into it .

Posted Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:22 pm

My dad taught me this when I was a kid. Told me he used it all the time in the ER. Used the same technique to take the small treble out from above my lip (earlier post). Should have video recorded that!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTUQXpg76xQ[/youtube]

Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:44 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links