Went out of Niantic today and fished the shoreline up to Pine Island Cove and Mumford Point and back. Fishing sucked. Sad Water has been coffee colored for the last week+. Small blues here and there. Mostly snappers that just tore up my Zoom Flukes. No stripers, albies or bigger blues. Lots of guys anchored and catching black fish, but I'm just not a big fan of bottom fishing anchored up. Couln't run anywhere else in my little boat. By the time I got to Mumford Point, the SW wind was starting to push up a fair amount of chop. Had to crawl back around the points to avoid getting soaked. Should have put in at Barn Island and I would have had Fishers blocking the wind. Probably fish a few times over the next month or so on the CT River for pike, or maybe find someone to share a trip over to Montauk.

Posted Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:46 pm

WHERE IS PINE ISLAND COVE AND MUMFORD POINT TRYING TO GET MORE FAMILAR WITH THE BAY I WAS OUT THERE TODAY BLACK FISHING GOT ONE BITE BIG BLUE THAT CUT THE LINE

Posted Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Sh*%^y is unfair, as a day on the water beats staying home mowing the lawn any time. Pine Island is right by Avery Point in Groton, and Mumford Point is just to the east. The sites below provide really good, free navigation charts. Lot of guys were out in Two Tree black fishing.

Housie to Thames River
http://sailvector.com/2221/Long-Island-Sound-Eastern-Part-Conn-Ny

Naintic to RI
http://sailvector.com/2164/Long-Island-Sound---Ri-Conn

Sailvector chart lists. Contains hundreds of locations.
http://sailvector.com/?gclid=CLy89MejyJYCFRMvHgodAxkozA

Posted Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:29 am

Same thing for me yesterday. Fished the Millstone area. No fish. Looked for stripers,blues,albies...nada. Tried my hand at togging. Watched boats around me pulling lots of shorts over the rail but none for me.

Posted Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Were you out in your yak? Saw some guys out near Pine Island. I was at Millstone probably around 7:30ishand then back by later morning early afternoon on my way back in.

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:22 am

Yeah I was there,on the water at 6. Fished the outflow first,then the flat rock and breakwaters north of two tree,then back to the rock pile by the red can near millstone. Called it a day about one-thirty. If you ever see me feel free to stop by and say hello. If you get close enough to make it out,my yak is pretty unmistakable,gray,black rocket launchers everywhere,white cooler,trolling motor. Wanted to try two tree or the northern most tip of bartlett's or even little goshen reef but it never fails that when my days of fall on good weather it always seems to be the wrong tide,launch during incoming,land during outgoing.

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:06 pm

Weather windows get fewer and farther between this time of year, especially for small boats or yaks. My boat is the Gemma Rose, a little 14" aluminum. I haven't really had any good fishing since back in early September. Limited days, having to take what the weather gives, etc. If I don't see you out this fall, you'll have to shoot me a message befor you head out on days next spring. I'll keep a lookout for you.

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Sounds good,will do.

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:51 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links