A North Stonington man was sentenced today in federal court in Boston for trafficking in and making false records for 12,140 pounds of illegally-harvested Atlantic Striped Bass.

Daniel B. Birkbeck, 47, was sentenced to serve one year of

Read more: $10,000 fine levied against North Stonington fisherman - Norwich, CT - The Bulletin http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/x186776677/-10-000-fine-levied-against-North-Stonington-fisherman#ixzz1npLembTT

Posted Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:13 pm

I checked commercial prices for last year, $2.50-$3.25lb. in July. How the hell is $10,000.00 a penalty for illegally harvesting and selling roughly $25k-$30K in fish? Seems to me that the fine should be on top of the value of the fish sold. Essentially what this sentence says is that guys who ignore quotas get one free pass.

Posted Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:57 pm

Yeah,they shoulda kept the bastard's boat and truck too. Hopefully he won't be able to hold a commercial license anymore at the least...............THOSE WERE OUR FISH!!!

Posted Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:16 pm

he should also have to claim the amount of money as a financial gain and pay tax to the state of CT to help support our DEP.

Posted Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:04 pm

I guess crime does pay.

Posted Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation
110 North Carolina Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20003
Phone: 202-543-6850
Fax: 202-543-6853
Web: www.sportsmenslink.org
Email: csf@sportsmenslink.org
Blog: www.eyesontheissues.com

Dear Congressional Sportsman Caucus Members,

I am writing to express my concern about a significant flaw in the enforcement and punishment of commercial fisherman caught exceeding federal quotas. This issue was highlighted in the Norwich Bulletin by the recent sentencing of a North Stonington resident.

"A North Stonington man was sentenced Wednesday in federal court for trafficking in and making false records for 12,140 pounds of illegally harvested Atlantic striped bass. Daniel B. Birkbeck, 47, was sentenced to serve one year of probation and to pay a $10,000 fine. As part of his plea agreement, Birkbeck agreed to pay $5,000 in lieu of forfeiting the boat and truck that he used to commit the crimes, according to a statement released by the Massachusetts U.S. Attorney’s Office." Read more: $10,000 fine levied against North Stonington fisherman - Norwich, CT - The Bulletin http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/x186776677/-10-000-fine-levied-against-North-Stonington-fisherman#ixzz1nvWcKGOI

Commercial striper prices last July ranged from $2.50 a pound to $3.25lb. This places the value of the illegal catch between $30k and $39k. I fail to see how the $10,000 federal fine was a punishment. As a recreational angler, I would face a $100 fine for each fish over the daily creel limit. The striper population is a critical resource to the sport fishing industry in the North East, generating far more revenue than the commercial harvesting of the stock. I would like to see the species declared a game fish and protected, but barring that, those who practice illegal harvesting should be sentenced with laws that actually punish and dissuade the practice as opposed to those which allow the violator to profit tens of thousands of dollars.

I hope this example, one of many, will lead you to re-examine federal sentencing guidelines to better protect out natural resources from those that would abuse the system. I thank you for your consideration, and efforts on behalf of America's sportsmen and women.

Sincerely,
Brian Kirby
Meriden, CT

Posted Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:52 pm

Way to represent us Brian thank you!

Posted Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:15 am

Posted Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:45 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links