Last week's New England Fisherman cover photo featured Captain Blaine Anderson with his 74.75-pound striper. It edged out Steve Franco's 74-pound bass, which places it second to last year's world record 81.88-pound catch by Greg Meyerson. This is all Long Island Sound folks, making this small body of salt water, the place to go for big bass.

When trophy striped bass are the target, bait is the ticket and big bait rules. Live eels are still favored in many areas, but for bass fishermen in this area, bunker baits are the name of the game.
http://www.thehour.com/sports/outdoor/how-to-land-the-big-stripers/article_20015fe9-b47b-56ba-b021-89c880205299.html

Posted Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Live or chunked scup work very well, also.

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:21 pm

I've worked out many of the problems I had with my Mariner 4 with the Intex 40lb thrust and batteries.

I've always been been accustomed to fresh water fishing, but the promise of landing a large striper or fluke and the sites and sounds of the mouth of the CT river into Long Island sound got my hopes up.

I thought it was possible, well more then possible, now that I was not one of those guys fishing off the pier.

A month ago, fishing seemed better. I was getting plenty of bites and landed a small striper and some other small fish.....I launch from the LT boat launch in old lyme of of exit 1...

Today, I spent some cash on bait and gas as this area is an hour away...and to reach the mouth, I need to trek through the river for 25 minutes and the mouth about 1.5 hours considering the tide.

Today I was in an two hours before high tide...there were periods of a lot of sea weed getting into the bait...then it seems to vanish.
I used squid and sand worms....nothing off the squid...almost had ONE on the sand worms which seems pretty decent size but lost it...felt like a fluke..

Yes fishing is exactly what it is...you go out for the experience first...I like to get out the house and away from the tv.....In my boat, reaching the mouth takes at least an hour...it must be two miles...Ive not gone into long island sound because sometimes when boats pass me on the way to the mouth I get bounced around a lot....and taking chances in open water seems to risky even with two huge marine batteries.

So I'm wondering if there a coves or places at this time of year where i might have a better shot.....for stripers or fluke/founder.

Does Saybrook get better as the summer continues into fall, or is it hit or miss all the way through. From what I've read, the guys witht he big boats and the fish finders have to venture way out into the sound...so Im just wondering if there is a realist area where I can try.

Today I was there two hours before high tide, and I thought from 3:00 to 8:00 would be optimal....I also thought seeking the deepest waters in the river would prove better..but I noticed many other larger boats getting very close to the flats and yelling with excitement...I didnt see any landings...but Im still learning...so any insight would be appreciated.

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:02 pm

I was thinking possibly launching into direct LIS from a more Southern location...doesnt matter if it is RI, or MA.

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:21 pm

PM sent.

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links