WEST HAVEN — They’ve reeled in sand sharks, bluefish and stripers off the Savin Rock boardwalk pier for years. But the most coveted catch right now for this group of older guys? City permission to fish throughout the night.

About 10 to 12 senior citizens who live near the shore want officials to let them stay on the pier past the beach’s 10:30 p.m. closing, which has been heavily enforced since last summer and especially over the past few months.

These night owls say their hobby is best practiced late in the evening because they’re more likely to get a bite. Plus, the pier, rather than a beach or rock jetty, is easy to navigate for those with disabilities, they say.

“I have to pay for a fishing license, I should be able to fish where and when I want. Their answer is, ‘We have problems at the beach. Shut it down,’” resident Joe Capecea said as he stood with a group of the fishing friends on the observation deck of the boardwalk recently.

http://nhregister.com/articles/2012/08/03/news/shoreline/doc501ca3610bbb7996950913.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Posted Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:48 am

friggin Aye let the olds guy fish easy enough to see there not swiming or partyers

Posted Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:08 am

our law enforcement must have nothing better to do. If your giving a bunch of old people a hard time you really need to get a life. The only time i ever even think about bothering a person over 50 is on the road, when there doing 25 in a 55. Old folks have paid there dues, lets leave them to there kicks.

Posted Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:17 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links