angryjohn

The claim of a deep cycle is something to help make money, and the design is diffrent. A real deep cycle is supper heavy due to all the lead, because the plates are supper thick.

That battery is huge and in a size 27 feels like 80lbs at least.
Im going to charge with the new charger and if I still have problems, its being returned.

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 5:20 pm

The best deep cycle batteries are made by trojan, or interstate. The one i was looking at was only 50 lbs but was a size 24. Most all deep cycle batteries are lead acid, but there may be others that i have not seen. This is not always a great thing on a boat, but if your worried then a gel asm battery might be more your cup of tea. If you want recomendations i would be more than willing to point you in a direction or post link!

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 7:00 pm

With your 55lb thrust with regard to difficulty against the tide, are you referring to the channel I was fishing in and wrote about, or tides in general?

Tides in general, both in the lower river and the sound. They can run really hard, pushing the cans way over. One option you might try on a nice day is putting in at Baldwin Bridge and taking out down behind Great Island on the east side of the river. You would need a drop off car, but wouldnt have to fight back up against the current. Jordan Cove and The Barn (Stonington) are also nice, sheltered put ins for small boat, yaks, etc.

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 10:25 pm

redneckangler

With your 55lb thrust with regard to difficulty against the tide, are you referring to the channel I was fishing in and wrote about, or tides in general?

One option you might try on a nice day is putting in at Baldwin Bridge and taking out down behind Great Island on the east side of the river. You would need a drop off car, but wouldnt have to fight back up against the current. Jordan Cove and The Barn (Stonington) are also nice, sheltered put ins for small boat, yaks, etc.

I was told I would need a resident pass to use the Baldwin Bridge launch. Is that correct?

I'm just looking for a safe place where the chances of catching quality fish are as good as the "hairy" locations. If that is possible.

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 12:50 am

I was told I would need a resident pass to use the Baldwin Bridge launch. Is that correct?

Baldwin is a state launch, as is Great Island.
http://www.lisrc.uconn.edu/coastalaccess/site.asp?siteid=541&maptool=4

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 5:27 am

Glad to hear you made it in safely. The mouth of the river can be a dangerous place. I have seen 6' - 8' seas right out front and LIS can be tough due to shallow areas and very short wave length. I have 24' and still rough on certain days.

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Oh yeah wait till all the yahoo's in their cruising boats get out there after memorial day. A fifty footer can throw a serious wake.

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 5:54 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links