What are you guys using for shad this year???

I'm using a torpedo sinker w/a foot leader and a willow leaf lure.

Alternatively, I will use terminator in-line spinners. (with a egg sinker).

Posted Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:34 am

The willow leaf is pretty much the common lure with the small 3/8 or 1/2 oz drail as far as I know, especially spin casting for them.

Posted Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:03 pm

In the good old days we used to 3-way willows with a 4 oz sinker from the Warehouse Point bridge!

Posted Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Yep. an inline weigh and a willow leaf about 3 feet of leader, enough weight to keep you a couple feet off the bottom on the troll or when retrieving. gold on cloudy days silver if it's sunny you ca also add some prism tape stripe green works best for me.

They are already in the Farmington my buddy caught 10 last Wednesday and 7 yesterday.

Posted Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:39 am

I have not been able to hook any American shad after 3 trips on the CT river since April 1. The DEP dock, Baldwin Bridge, and Hockanum mouth have each given me nothing. I may have hooked one at the Hockanum, but after a decent fight my drag fouled up and I lost it (whatever it was).

After a very successful Fall for Hickory shad, I thought I would try and hit the spring run of American shad. I've been finding bottom successfully with jigs, darts, and spoons; but keeping them (~3 ft?) above the bottom. Willowleafs have been suggested and I must try them before the end of the month. I can never seem to find them when I need 'em! Has any one else been targeting or finding shad on the CT river?

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:12 pm

Any day now you will be seeing reports of them being caught I'm sure.
You want to be in the channel when fishing for American shad.

I always go as low and slow as I can go while trying not to get snagged. Willow leaf, Willow leaf, Willow leaf Wink

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:41 pm

Do you know about any abundant amounts of striper landing recently torwards Hamburg Cove and the Old Saybrook bridge Go Fish

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:48 pm

river-runner

Do you know about any abundant amounts of striper landing recently torwards Hamburg Cove and the Old Saybrook bridge Go Fish

I will pm you regarding that RR, I don't want to Hi-Jack noctoural88's thread with small talk even if he has not been around for about a year, and this post about the same age Laughing

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:38 pm

Thanks for the info aqualung, I'll wait a bit and then get back at it. And, "Willow leaf, Willow leaf, Willow leaf"!

Posted Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:33 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links